Saturday, July 21, 2012

Time Flies!

Wow, the time has flown by so fast! I only have 13 days left in China before I head home back to Minnesota. These past two weeks have been the busiest at work and I have gotten a lot accomplished. The meat processing project was completed after working two days overtime. I also was assigned to give some internal training to all the staff so I presented to them how to create effective powerpoints american businesses approve. I also had a verb refresher course for them to brush up on their grammar. Mr. Thiem would be so proud of me. My biggest project yet was pitching the e-commerce business proposal for my CEO David. I just completed that project yesterday and received good results and feedback so I am very excited and relieved! That was the project that was assigned to me before I arrived in China and it took a lot of researching and time spent here to successfully drive the company in the correct direction for future e-commerce. This has been a very interesting industry to work in and learn about.  I will be able to apply all that I have learned to many other industries as well.
Other happenings in the past days I will share a photo and a quick story!

Mass at St. Ignatius Cathedral in Xu Jia Hui,

Two Sundays ago, I headed out early to find this cathedral because I enjoy seeing the catholic church in other parts of the world. After getting off the subway station and taking very lucky guesses as to which direction I should be walking, I found the church crosses peaking out of the sky around a corner. I went to walk in and found out that the English mass was starting in 5 minutes so I was able to attend mass as well. It was a nice mass and great way to start my week in China. You couldn't take pictures inside but it was very beautiful and reminded me of S.S.P.P church back at home in Mankato.

Chef Vincent cooks home made Chinese food for us at our apartment
This past Sunday, my boss came over to our apartment and brought 6 Chinese dishes cooked at his home for us to eat. We had a large group of me and my roommates Tyler and Joe, along with Michael and my landlord Janee. We got our apartment ready for all the guests, purchased a cake for dessert, watermelon for a snack and even made egg drop soup from scratch to pitch in. Vincent was also sure to bring some bijou and wine for us to try. The food was very good and we enjoyed afternoon that turned into an evening of conversation and great food and drinks. This will be one of my favorite memories from China.











Shopping and Ladies Night with Janee
Janee our landlord is so friendly and has been so great to us during our time spent in China, it is not very often that a Chinese landlord will let you live in their space for only 2 months. She has taken us out for dinner and helped us with whatever we needed. On Wednesday this week, me and her met up for some shopping a good dinner on a famous shopping street and then we headed over to Brown Sugar a bar for ladies night. In Shanghai, almost everywhere on Wednesday's is ladies night where girls drink free. What a treat! There was a live band at Brown Sugar and we had a great night of dancing and listening along to the music! It was a really fun night and I hope to have a couple more ladies nights with her before I leave!



I have a lot to accomplish in these last 13 days left here.  . I am also looking forward to my farewell dinner that my company will be throwing for me, we are going to a new Chinese restaurant that has just opened up followed by some good ole traditional Chinese KTV (American karaoke). I better start practicing a song! On Wednesday I will be travelling on a train to Qingdao to visit one of our company's factories with my co-worker Ivy.

Stay tuned for the end of my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment